Tuesday, February 28, 2017

January and February

From November until May, I cannot get warm.
Even my bones have cores of ice. But you
are a house on fire, an internal combustion system,
Sriracha sauce/ jalapeƱo poppers/Thai curry. I stay up
late, read until you’re asleep, so I can slip my icy feet,
frozen toes, under the smoldering log of your torso.
Even in the dark, you radiate. I am a cold front, a polar low
coming down from the arctic. And you, why you,
you’re the sun. 

- Barbara Crooker, Weather Systems

#1 - 1:00 Church

Our family digs a later church time, especially during the winter.  It gives us so much more time to play in the morning.  Unfortunately, some of us don't get enough sleep the night before (see last picture).




#2 - Cold Temperatures and Flooding

We've spent the past few weeks limping out of the worst winter Boise has seen in 40 years.  40 years!  Lucky us.  I've never been more grateful to see the sun and feel the warmth.  

We're not out of the woods yet.  There has been severe flooding all around Idaho and some of it close to home (fortunately, not OUR home).  Last week the ice melted enough that we could walk our old path to the Boise River and we were shocked to see it so high.  Greg and I drove up to Arrowrock Dam for the first time, checking out the levels of the reservoir.  We have no idea what is normal or what to expect.  

Truthfully, we have been exceptionally blessed.  No roof damage (many neighbors had ice dams and flooding), no leaks, our scrupulous furnace finally got her act together and our cars never got stuck.  There were so many nights I wanted to hug my car and cover her up with a blanket.  Greg spent January helping dig out neighbors.  And the boys and I spent many evenings clearing ice along the road gutters to keep the drains working.  







#3 - Winter Camp Out

In the middle of this coldness, my two oldest boys had their annual winter camp out.  Greg told me later it was like camping in a snow cloud.  They couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of them and everything was frozen (including them!)

The boys made snow caves (more like snow coffins).  Some were more impressive than others.  And in the end, both of them climbed into Dad's tent for the night and ditched their cave.   




#4 - First Sacrament Meeting Talk

In my church, youth over the age of 12 are often invited to speak to the church congregation.  This is a big deal, and it can be intimidating - speaking to such a large group of people.  James was asked to speak in the middle of February and he absolutely NAILED IT!!

His voice was clear.  He looked up at the audience, he cracked jokes, had everyone laughing and by the end there was a lovely spirit in the meeting.  This kid can perform under pressure and he does it with flair.  Excellent introduction into public speaking.  



#5 - Valentines Day

This year I need to record why Greg gets me flowers for Valentines Day.  Because I really wish he wouldn't.  

I don't like to buy flowers around Valentines Day because I'm cheap and I hate how the price goes up.  So I always ask my better half to delay and get me flowers for our anniversary instead.  He doesn't listen.  

He gets me flowers so the kids can see them.  It's important.  Greg wants our children see how much he loves his wife.  Because this is what a husband should be doing for his wife, all the while hoping they grow up expecting and performing similar acts of love for their significant others.  If they work hard, make good decisions, and listen to the wise counsel of family, they might end up as lucky as him.   

And when Greg gives me this kind of logic, any argument of mine goes right out the window.  I adore him.

The other highlight this year was Andrew's surprise package from a best friend back in Utah.  Andrew - the boy who has already sworn off marriage, sworn off girls in general and thinks kissing is gross - couldn't stop smiling for days when he got the package from Anya.  



No comments: