Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Christmas 2016


McKinnon Christmas Part I - 

The plan called for Greg to take the kids down to Utah the Sunday before Christmas.  It let him and the two oldest boys attend Steve Arveseth's funeral (one of Greg's best friends from Connecticut).  It would also leave 3 full days for the kids to catch up with friends, and see Rogue One with the beloved Astin family.  The kids even crashed their old school Tuesday afternoon before the break - it was wild!  They were nearly crushed in the excitement of all their friends rushing towards them.  

Mom arrived Wednesday night (after extracting promises from the furnace that it wouldn't break down while she was away).  We were on the verge of settling into a comfortable weekend of long awaited family parties, dinner with friends and the Nutcracker ballet when we realized what was coming.

The storm.

A massive snow storm was scheduled to hit Boise Friday morning and last until Saturday night - when it would transition to Northern Utah until Sunday night.  Which meant we were stuck.  We either had to leave the next day or stay until Monday morning and miss any moment of Christmas at home.  And less we forget - we were still worried about the unfaithful heater at home and potential frozen pipes.  So in the end, we left early.  

Stupid, stupid weather.  

When we finally reached Eagle around 7:30 Thursday night, it was 10 degrees and starting to snow.  We still don't know if we made the right decision.  Either way, it was a lousy start to something we had anticipated for months. 












McKinnon Christmas - Part II

It took several days for us to get over leaving Utah early.  Our first Christmas in Idaho. 






My second week at work I met a sweet lady who makes these intricate wire and bead creations as a hobby.  All the members of her team have various bugs as office decorations.  They're beautiful!  Not only did I want one.  But I wanted one for each of my kids.  

These dragonflies were a Christmas highlight.  I placed them on the kids stocking so it looked like they were crawling out the top or had just landed on the rim.  The kids loved them!  Pretty Girl's pink one decorates her jewelry box.  Roo's is on his lamp.  And my oldest one has his perched on his desk.  Bubbs didn't get one - too young to appreciate this.  I took his for now and it sits on my computer screen at work.   










Let's talk about these blankets.  Three weeks before Christmas, I got this amazingly softest, glorious blanket at a work white elephant gift exchange.  It's scrumptiously divine!  I credit the 2 month stretch of sub-freezing temperatures around here, but this blanket has become my new snuggle buddy.  Which is odd in itself, because I don't have any affinity for blankets.

Within days of bringing home the blanket, it started disappearing into kids bedrooms.  Constantly.  So in spite of the abundant amount of blankets we already own, I realized each one of the kids needed one for themselves.  So on Christmas day, 4 new blankets - identical to my own in fabric and texture - were under the tree.  And the kids ADORE them!! 





I don't throw around the phrase, "knocked it out of the park" lightly.  But this year... oh yes.  Greg and Pretty Girl knocked it OUT OF THE PARK.  


McKinnon Christmas - Part III

We kept New Years Eve simple this year.  We invited the Johnson family over and we celebrated New Years, Eastern Standard time.  Part of me really regretted my lack of energy and the horrible weather this year.  Apparently Boiseians celebrate New Years by dropping a gigantic potato (not kidding) at midnight at the downtown Grove Hotel.  It's a big deal - and something I wish the kids could have seen.

But the other part of me was exhausted and didn't want to endure an evening of 5 below.
    
Instead, we made hot wassail, cranberry and cheese relish, nachos, ice cream and brownies.  We played a ton of board games with the adults and kids.  Lighted off fireworks.  And I was in bed by 11:30.  

Hurrah for 2017!





One final detail about our first holiday in Idaho.  The Village shopping district in Meridian had these gorgeous, massive reindeer set up on every corner.  And they enchanted us!  So much so that my kids designated one for themselves and gave it a name for the season.  It was a highlight to drive past whenever we were in the area during December.  


No comments: