Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Winter Break in San Diego


We always leave for California at 5:00 AM.  It's routine - along with the places we stop to eat, to rest, etc.  But this year as we pulled out, the fog and inversion were so bad we could only see about 10 feet in front of the car.  Scary at times.  And freezing freezing cold.  

So this time when we finally reached Rancho Santa Fe around 4:00 PM, we all breathed a sigh of relief and mutually agreed the sun had never felt so glorious! 





I didn't stage this one.  I was juggling shoes and jackets up where the sand was dry.  
And when I finally looked up - there they were.
I was told later, "Mom, we figured out if we stood strong together, the waves wouldn't knock us over."
Wow.   

We spotted Gilligan Jr. 


I figured out our pass to Thanksgiving Point is also accepted at 300+ museums around the country.
50 of which are in California.  And 2 of them are in Balboa Park.
The Reuben Fleet Science Museum and the Natural History Museum - both excellent! 









Our Big Guy planted these 2 avocado trees with Grandpa last year.    

A boy, his dog (kind of) and the sea.




One must always stay dry - regardless of fashion.



One of our highlights this time was going on a whale watching tour.  We saw two grey whales, one fin whale and hundreds of dolphins.  It was unbelievable!  






And no trip to San Diego is complete without posting our Bubbs' Swimming Tutorial...

3 comments:

Jen T said...

What a fun trip!!!!

Erin said...

I should have let you know about that Thanksgiving Point thing years ago. Sorry. 😕 I've been dying to do a whale watching tour down there. Do you think it would be okay for Elle?

Rachael said...

Haha! Erin, I'm so slow figuring things out anyway. I knew the coalition existed, I was just lazy in looking up the details. And yes - Elle would love the whale tour.