Tuesday, September 1, 2015

For My Babies

Here's to you, you were pink or blue. And everything I wanted.
Here's to you, never sleeping through, from midnight till the morning.
Had to crawl before you walked, before you ran. 
Before I knew it, you were trying to free your fingers from my hand.
Cause you could do it.  On your own now.  Somehow.

Slow down.  Won't you stay here a minute more?
I know you wanna walk through the door.
But it's all too fast.  Let's make it last a little while.
I pointed to the sky. And now you want to fly.
I am your biggest fan.  I hope you know I am.
But do you think you can somehow...slow down?

Here's to you, every missing tooth and every bedtime story.
Here's to Barbie cars, light-saber wars, sleeping in on Sunday.
Had to crawl before you walked, before you ran.
Before I knew it, you were teaching me the only thing love can.
Hold hands through it, when it's scary.  You've got me.

Let's slow down.  Won't you stay here a minute more?
I know you wanna walk through the door.
But it's all too fast.  Let's make it last a little while.
I pointed to the sky. And now you want to fly.
I am your biggest fan.  I hope you know I am.
But do you think you can somehow...slow down?

Please don't roll your eyes at me.  I know I'm embarrassing.
But someday you'll understand.  You'll hold a little hand.  
Ask them if they can.

Cause it's all too fast.

I am your biggest fan.  I hope you know I am.
But do you think you can somehow...slow down?

Slow down.

Slow down.

-Nichole Nordeman-

No comments: