Sunday, August 9, 2015

Summer 2015, Week 9

#1 - Field Trip - Serving Time Cafe & Bowling

I've been wanting to take the kids to this cafe for a while.  It's cheap, delicious food and it's run by women incarcerated in the Utah State Prison.  My favorite comment came from Our Sweetie as we were leaving, - "Mom, those women were so nice!  I don't know why any of them are in prison."  The whole episode really messed with his moral absolute compass.  










#2 - Hike - Potato Hill








#3 - Science Project  - Solar Night Lights

Super super easy!  What I loved most was the moment the kids realized the solar kits were too big for the heads of the jars.  So we had to throw out several ideas on how to increase the radius of the solar kits.  We ended up increasing the girth with ropes of string.  Worked perfectly!  The kids love them.  












#4 - Art Project  - Homemade Play Dough












#5 - And Then We Did a Little of This -

Our Big Guy is getting ready for his first mtn bike race (a dedicated post on his team is coming soon).  In preparation for this 200+ person event, he and I volunteered Friday evening to help set up the 5 mile course. 

I would like to take this time to confess that my oldest has mad mountain biking skills.  Mad.  I'm an avid road cyclist who does about 50 miles/week.  This was 5 measly miles.  FIVE.  I crashed, slipped, banged, screamed... while our Big Guy sailed to the lead.  Effortlessly.  Sailed.  

The race next Saturday is 2x through this 5 mile course.  

My son is amazing.  











We also attended Sundance's production of the Wizard of Oz.  My kids loved it! And we planted 2 new peach trees and a few rhubarb plants.







No comments: