Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Summer Epiphany

Somewhere in the middle of my summer, I stumbled upon this piece - 

Once there was a man who filmed his vacation.
He went flying down the river in his boat
with his video camera to his eye, making
a moving picture of the moving river
upon which his sleek boat moved swiftly
toward the end of his vacation.  He showed
his vacation to his camera, which pictures it,
preserving it forever: the river, the trees,
the sky, the light, the bow of his rushing boat
behind which he stood with his camera
preserving his vacation even as he was having it
so that after he had had it he would still
have it.  It would be there.  With a flick
of a switch, there it would be.  But he
would not be in it.  He would never be in it.

-The Vacation, Wendell Berry-

I was laughing by the end of the poem, and by the end of the day I realized I'd sadly stumbled across myself.  

There were too many moments this past summer where my efforts to record my family's present history got in the way of me fully engaging with my children.  It became more of an irritant and at times a massive interruption.  I wasn't able to enjoy the moment.  

Hence my epiphany.

This is the last summer we'll record our weekly summer activities.  Field trips, hikes, science projects - none of that will stop.  Those have become our faithful building blocks.  But I'm not going to capture everything and I'll be posting much less.  A post summer recap will suit us better.   

I want more time on my deck chairs visiting with my kids.  And more floor time with Bubbs and his tummy.  I want to cook guilt-free with my two oldest boys and not bemoan the fact that I didn't capture it on film.    
     
So yeah... I'm going to hang out with these goof balls more.

Time well spent.  




No comments: