Sunday, May 24, 2015

Twelve


In my faith, when a boy turns 12, he's given significant responsibilities within the framework of the church.  This process of stewardship involves a special blessing, usually given by his father.  And in this case, we were especially fortunate to have Our Big Guy surrounded by his grandfathers while the blessing took place.

Watching my father and father-in-law surrounding my oldest today, along with my husband - thinking of so many other men I adore and love who are no longer here, but who make their presence known during special moments - you'll forgive me if words fail me and I'm falling back on an old favorite -

"I saw behind me those who had gone, and before me, those who are to come.  I looked back and saw my father, and his father, and all our fathers, and in front, to see my son, and his son, and the sons upon sons beyond.

And their eyes were my eyes.

As I felt, so they had felt, and were to feel, as then, so now, as tomorrow and for ever.  Then I was not afraid, for I was in a long line that had no beginning, and no end, and the hand of his father grasped my father's hand, and his hand was in mine...

I was of them, they were of me, and in me, and I in all of them.
"

-Richard Llewellyn, How Green Was My Valley-

On a more secular note, Our Big Guy celebrated his birthday with a few friends for dinner and a movie.  He spent the first full day of being 12 catching a massive cold from being rained/hailed on during mountain-bike practice.  He's wild about bow-ties, and he now has enough camping gear that I worry he'll move into the back yard. 










2 comments:

Jen T said...

Awesome! love it! What a good kid and what a special birthday!!!

Britt said...

He's definitely moving to the backyard!