Saturday, May 16, 2015

Goldilocks 2015

Do you remember two years ago when I finished a massively rainy, cold Goldilocks race and I naively declared on this blog, "I would do it again in a heartbeat"??

No.  No, no, no.  

I now see the error of my ways.  

The beginning - so nice and dry - so blissfully unaware.

This was so much worse.  SO. MUCH. WORSE.

This was winter-cold, waves-of-ice-water hitting me when I was already soaked to the bone.  This was a downpour that NEVER LET UP!!!  This was stupidity.  This was ME...realizing my own stupidity.

My great epiphany came at Mile 26 - when I had already out-paced my friends in my mad attempt to finish this cursed race.  And now I hesitated alone at the top of a multi-mile stretch downhill.  Cycling downhill at this point was dangerous.  I wouldn't be moving for 10-15 minutes and not moving made the freezing process so much worse.  But what worried me most was that I couldn't feel my hands anymore.  Which meant I couldn't squeeze my brakes.  And I had to feel my brakes.  

So I do what I always do on my road bike.  I started to pray.

Half-way down the hill I made a new resolution.  

I am not immortal.  No more spring races.  No more races with rain or snow.  No more risking myself with the real possibility that my children would have to grow up without me.

Done.





1 comment:

Jen T said...

Bless your heart! You are amazing!!