Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Month We Moved Into Our Car

"In choosing how we spend time as a family, we should be careful not to exhaust our available time on things that are merely good and leave little time for that which is better or best... The amount of children-and-parent time absorbed in the good activities of private lessons, team sports, and other school and club activities also needs to be carefully regulated. Otherwise, children will be overscheduled, and parents will be frazzled and frustrated. Parents should act to preserve time for family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, and the other precious togetherness and individual one-on-one time that binds a family together and fixes children’s values on things of eternal worth. Parents should teach gospel priorities through what they do with their children."  -Elder Dallin H. Oaks


This fall everyone (except Our Bubbs) signed up for soccer.  And then Our Big Guy convinced me that he wanted to join cross country. 

Four sports.  One season.  

I don't know what I was thinking.  8 weeks didn't look that bad when I was in the middle of July.

It is.

How do I balance this?  How do I balance all these children - with all these talents?  Piano, Scouts, homework?  Dinner.  Play time.  Scripture time.  Family Home Evening.  Plus evenings I want to just crash and tickle them.  Which one is going to fall through the cracks first?

I have no idea.  

And then there's the odd emotion of terribly missing the games once they finish.  Because I love watching my children play. 

We're almost to the end.  Nearly at that lovely 2-month break between soccer and basketball.
 
Give me strength.
 













Our Big Guy against one of his best friends - Victor


 

No comments: