Friday, October 24, 2014

Oh Heavenly Day!

Watching Patty Griffin in concert was something I'm not likely to forget.  Punctuated by the fact that I was standing only ten feet away from her.  Ten.  One and zero.  Yeah... she looked at me... a lot... probably because I was the tallest woman there. 

Poor Greg... 

(Putting up with a wife bouncing off the ground and screaming)



Did I mention the ten feet?




She came out singing "Chief" - which was unreal.  Because what are the odds that she'd play my favorite song?  I was frantically torn between the desperate need to video tape, take pictures or just enjoy the moment.  I tried to do all three.  She was just so good.  And that's a woeful understatement.

Most of her songs were from her latest album, American Kid - which worked perfectly because I got to hear her rock "Don't Let Me Die in Florida" - a piece that reminds me of my great grandfather, Andrew Divers. 



But there were several old gems she pulled out of her back-pocket-repertoire, including "When It Don't Come Easy" - a personal favorite during my infertility years.  And "Heavenly Day" - words that I hum while I'm hiking with my kids.

She didn't sing "Burgundy Shoes" or "Mother of God" - but she closed out her encore with "Truth #2" and I felt like I was skipping all the way home.  



I'm still glowing...

"Tomorrow may rain with sorrow
Here's a little time we can borrow
Forget all our troubles in these moments so few
All we've got right now, the only thing that
All we really have to do
Is have ourselves a heavenly day
Lay here and watch the trees sway
Oh, can't see no other way, no way
Heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day"

No comments: