Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Science Experiement That Got Away...

Our Sweetie has been asking for months to do the "Milk Challenge".

The "Milk Challenge" is an age old dare to see if you can drink a gallon of milk within an hour and keep everything down (i.e. not throw up) for 20 minutes.  My brother Spencer tried it when we lived in Virginia.  And he almost made it.  2 cups were left in the bottom of the gallon when he called it quits.  He never threw up, but he felt sick for several hours after. 

Unfortunately, Spencer's experience did nothing to dampen Our Sweetie's enthusiasm to try it for himself.  In fact, it only added fuel to the fire.  Because we all know that Our Sweetie is known for his "bottomless stomach".  He even beats out his Dad on the amount of milk he consumes.  Surely he could finish an entire gallon by himself.   

Personally, I thought this would make a fantastic science experiment - as long as Our Sweetie agreed to be the guinea pig.  So on our last trip to California, we set him up with his own gallon of milk on the back deck, started the time and Our Sweetie started chugging.


I had cautioned him several times that this whole experiment was up to him.  He knew the risks.  He knew what had happened to his uncle.  I urged him to listen to his gut (literally) and we could call it off at any time. 

He assured me he'd be just fine.  He would be the first human being EVER to successfully complete the "Milk Challenge". 


About 3 full glasses into the experiment, Our Sweetie put down the cup, looked at me and said,

"Mom, I have a bad feeling about this."

"You do?  Do you feel sick?"

"Kind of.  I feel really full.  But I also keep having this feeling like I shouldn't do this."

"Oh yeah?  Well, what are you going to do?"  (mentally I'm ecstatic right now)

"I'm stopping.  It feels better." 


I'm not sure if his gut instinct were stomach pains or the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  Either way, it was a fantastic experiment and a very positive lesson for Our Sweetie.  

No comments: