Friday, July 4, 2014

Divine Revolution Remembered

The kids and I are in the middle of reading Glenn Beck's Being George Washington and the timing couldn't be better.  I'm so glad my children are learning at a young age about Trenton, Valley Forge, Yorktown and the early foundations of what brought about the inspired Constitution.  Some evenings they sit on the edge of my bed with their arms wrapped around their legs, anxiously waiting to hear how an important battle ended or how Washington reacted to a traitorous, egotistical colonel.   

"If I were Washington, I'd have punched him in the face, Mom!" they say passionately.

And then we have a talk (again!) about how words and brains will always be more convincing than strength. 

This patriotic holiday I have looked beyond the traditional BBQs, and fireworks (in spite of their Jeffersonian/Charlottesville ties) and have felt immense, humble gratitude for ordinary men like George Washington - clearly a man who was protected, surrounded by miracles and set aside for a very special purpose.

Yeah... he's on my list of people to meet on the other side. 


"I am sure there never was a people who had more reason to acknowledge a divine interposition in their affairs than those of the United States; and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten that agency which was so often manifested during our revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them.

Without the beneficent interposition of the Supreme Ruler of the universe, we could not have reached the distinguished situation which we have attained with such unprecedented rapidity. To him, therefore, should we bow with gratitude and reverence, and endeavor to merit a continuance of his special favors." 


- George Washington-

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh! I'll have to look into this before our trip back east. Thanks for posting.