Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hoopes Gravy

I'm not sure the origin of the Hoopes gravy. We think it started with Grandpa Hoopes' mother, Mae Eastman.


Mae's mother (Ann Harris) immigrated from Wales and settled in Brigham City. She ran a boarding house and Mae grew up cooking for all the patrons. Experts tend to agree this is where the miracle took place - although it very well could have happened with Ann back in Wales.

Sadly, I have wasted away my life never taking the pains to learn this excellent, mouth-watering gravy. Even more unfortunate, there's only 1 person left who knows how to make the gravy. My sweet Aunt Claudia.




(shown here with Our Sweetie, 2006)

So for this Thanksgiving dinner, I buckled in, made sure relatives could watch my kids for a few minutes, and I took careful, careful notes on this signature, nostalgic dish.


Here it is.


HOOPES GRAVY

1st pan -
Turkey Giblets
2 bay leaves
1/2 C sliced onions
2 celery sticks sliced
2 cloves of garlic - smashed

Boil turkey giblets in chicken broth and a little water (enough to cover giblets). Strain out everything and keep the broth. The giblets will smell SO bad...


If making potatoes, reserve 1-2 cups potato water.

Take turkey drippings and simmer in roasting pan (or regular pan) on high with giblet broth and potato water. Mix up a thick paste of flour and water in a large cup (consistency of glue). Add to the drippings and create a basic white sauce. In true Hoopes fashion, you'll need to put in loads of salt.

PS - In case you ever question if you've made too much, please refer to my Grandpa's own dinner table (look at the large bowl in the center) to understand you can never make enough of this gravy. Enjoy.




(Pictured from the front of the table back left - Claudia, Katie (Mom), Richard and Virginia (Grandma))

3 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

I LOVE this post. I really feel like I just don't know enough about my Hoopes family ancestry, so I loved this post and especially the picture. It must have been Grandma's birthday? I wonder where they are. But one thing I do remember about Hoopes, both my dad and Gr. Hoopes is the gravy. Also I remember the yummy, flavorful skin of the turkey that my dad loved to eat, as do I still to this day. Thanks for posting!

Jen T said...

So important to get those recipes and preserve them! I try to get all of DeeDee's recipes written in my cookbook. I am glad you got this, and I agree, you can never have too much gravy!!!

leadatortilla said...

Now I'm wishing for more potatoes and gravy... yum!