Sunday, July 31, 2011

Top 5 Childrens Books

#1 - Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Obvious one.  I can recite this book backwards.  My kids can recite this book backwards.  And yet we still love reading it together.  There is something quietly soul-soothing about saying goodnight to noises everywhere.


#2 - Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

Part of what bounds me to this book is my earliest memories of picking blueberries with my mother in Washington.  And then remembering my parents looking through this book with me.  My kids are wild about the bear mix up and the delicious cravings they get for blueberries. 


#3 - Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey

Our family has a tender spot in our heart for the Boston Public Gardens. It's difficult to go wrong when you're reading about baby ducks and the feeding of ducks with little kids.


#4 - An Apple To Eat or Cross The Street by Sam Q. Weissman

Not a lot of people know about this one. It delights my children constantly. I'll bet you didn't know a banana can be a sleeping bag, and a spoon can be a school of tadpoles.


#5 - A Special Day For Mommy by Dan Andreasen

My kids can't figure out why Mom laughs so hard every time we read the story together. One day, they'll get it. 



Runner Up

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear by Don & Audrey Wood

Want to make your kids laugh non-stop??  When you get to the page where the strawberry is wearing the Groucho Marx glasses, pretend you can't find the strawberry.  No matter how much evidence they give you, insist that it's a person at the table - not a berry. 

4 comments:

Britt said...

I have never heard of #2, 3 or 4! Maybe I should look those up. But I read my little ones the Big Hungry Bear almost every night!

leadatortilla said...

I want to see all of those books - and read them! I know of #1 - but never have seen the others.... I love this post. I need to copy ya on this one.

Jen T said...

We love all of these at our house, but Big Hungry bear is our favorite. We like the Christmas one of that too.

kj said...

Great list. I need to educate myself on a few of them!