Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Failed New Adaptations

Over 5 large piles of laundry this week, I finally got the chance to watch the latest Emma.

And when I say "latest" - it means I'm about 3 years behind.


It was...okay. Mr. & Mrs. Elton were a definite highlight. But I can whole-heartedly say I like this Emma 100x better.


Same goes for the latest Jane Eyre. The dialogue is beautiful and Jane herself is quite good.


But this one is still better.


And while we're on this subject, let's pause for a moment for the greatest movie of all time -


By the way - this is a terrible cover. A&E made some colossal errors here.

For starters - who the heck is in that carriage?? I'm not sure, but it's definitely not any characters from the movie. Did the shot just look regent-era so they threw it up there?

And it makes me cringe to look at the photo-shopped, blend-into-the-green view of Mr. Darcy. What part-time, uneducated staffer was saddled with this job?

Grrrr.....

3 comments:

Jen T said...

So agree with you! Gwyneth's Emma is the best "my mister Knightly", and you cannot beat the A&E Pride and Prejudice--hands down the BEST. I have not seen that cover, I have the older DVD's, and I agree they did not do a very good job on the new cover--yeah, who is in the carriage, is there even a carriage like that in the movie??? Lizzie's carriage wasn't like that. . . they should have had us design it!

leadatortilla said...

I love the commentary about the cover of pride and prejudice - I'm so lame, I hadn't even thought about it. I just say the title and say -ahhhhhhhh. ;-)

Esther Yu Sumner said...

Sorry I'm bombarding your blog right now. I tend to read blogs like books, and wait for a few chapters to be written.

Your blog is one of my favorites, too.

I am way behind in all movies so I am excited to check out the Emma that I've never seen before. I saw Paltrow's version at the International Theater at BYU ... you know, the one in the SWKT.