Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Where We Started, (Part 1 of 3)


Once upon a time...

(Warning!! All fairy tales have rough starts)

In an old, run-down junior high school building...

There was a Graphic Arts class...

For 8th graders only...

I don't remember the first time I saw him. But I do remember when he became really annoying and obnoxious. He was mid-height, scrawny, lanky and mean. I was not impressed. I did not like this self-starter boy who teased me about my projects and ignored me when I tried to talk to him.

Fortunately Graphic Arts was only 1 semester, and the annoying boy was soon dismissed and forgotten.

One year later...

I'm sitting in the high school swim team room, anxiously hoping I can make the team. I'm nervous, a freshman, hopelessly insecure - and then I notice the annoying boy is sitting on the other side of the room. He's also trying to make the team.

Things went down-hill from there.

For 2 years I'm subjected to this boy on a swim team that would otherwise be rather enjoyable. Long bus trips to swim meets far away suddenly became a lesson in strategic placement - don't sit near the boy. An assistant coach pulls me aside to say the boy is only doing this because he likes me. Absolutely nuts. Before the year is out, I retaliate by throwing a pair of his swim trunks in the pool gutter and toss his most beloved Toronto Blue Jays hat out the door. It's obvious now the boy doesn't like me either.

Fortunately, I moved away. He stayed. And the boy was ancient history.

3 comments:

Erin said...

This is going to be fun to read. I don't know all the details. I hope you bought him a new hat for one of your anniversaries. :)

Britt said...

I've never heard this story before! More please!

Jen T said...

Love it! Looking forward to parts 2 and 3! Love the picture too!