Monday, December 27, 2010

The Best Christmas Gift

2:00 AM, Christmas Eve morning.

Little Pirate and his Mom are in the ER at Primary Children's Hospital. His fever is 101. He's not eating very well. His white blood cell count is WAY below normal levels for a newborn.

Mom has had 1 hour of sleep in the past 24 hours. They've just told her they need to admit the Little Pirate, insert an IV in his tiny hand and do a spinal tap in his back.

When Mom shows some reluctance to admit the Little Pirate, the ER dr. declares he could easily call Child Protection Services and they will back him (not Mom).

Welcome to my version of hell.


36 long, humbling, prayerful, restless hours later, we finally get the good news...the Little Pirate (and Mom) can go home.


Coming home...best Christmas gift...ever. (and yes, the picture doesn't lie. I'm exhausted.)

8 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh my goodness, how awful! So what was wrong with him? Is he ALL better now? I'm so sorry you had to go through that, it's such a terrifying thing to have your baby in the ER and having them poking at them, tubes hanging out of them...I'm glad he was able to come home and that the jerky doctor didn't have your cute little man taken away :)

kj said...

Wow. Definitely makes it a memorable holiday. So glad your little pirate didn't have to be admitted. And I really hope you're able to catch up on the sleep.

Erin said...

So glad the cute little bug is home and well. And that doctor is a complete JERK for threatening you.

Staci said...

Oh my gosh. The exact same thing happened to me with Jackson. Only we were there for five tortuous days with an 80 year old pediatric nurse who shook when she inserted IVs. And all the tests . . . and multiple IV's . . . and trying to nurse and rock a baby who was hooked up to a million tubes . . . and waking your newborn up every 5 minutes for stupid things. . . and worrying about my other children's care. It was seriously such a dark, depressing time for me and I felt like the sun suddenly came out when I got to go home.

Britt said...

Both Brittany and I are very grateful he is home. I remember when Lucy was in the hospital for 2 days- it tore at our heart strings! I agree with Erin- the doctor never should have threatened you in such a manner. You really ought to report that. I think it's unethical! Again, Merry Christmas! We're grateful for you!

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

OH I am so sorry you went through this. I had a similar experience with my fifteen year old. When he was a few days old, he was admitted to the intensive care unit for three days with a fever. They suspected meningitis, but it wasn't. It was the hardest three days. I'm so glad all is well for you now and you are both home from the hospital. Hope your new years is extra special!

Jen T said...

Bless your heart! I hope he is all better now and you were/are able to enjoy your holidays at home with your family!! (and get some really good naps!) Thinking of you!

Darleen said...

oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! my kids were all sick over the holiday break and i was praying chloe didn't sick. luckily she dodged it. so I completely know how scary that is. Is he okay now?