Friday, November 5, 2010

Feeling Appreciated

Last night I had to attend a multi-hour stake auxiliary training meeting.

We also had the missionaries over for dinner.

There was leftover homework chaos in the kitchen.

I left Greg with the kids for bedtime.

Perfect scenario for a multi-mega disaster area when I got home. Because even though I'm desperately in love with my husband, I know what can happen under these circumstances.


This morning I was the ideal image of a grumbling, angry housewife (imagine Marge Simpson). When the final straw seemed to be landing on the camel's back, Our Big Guy came through and rationally explained while he polished off his last bowl of cereal -

"You see Mom, you weren't here."



And then I realized - at least my family gets it. They know the value of Mom. Greg is without a doubt the head of our home. But I know - and everyone else who lives here knows - Mom keeps the wheels rolling in the background. And when Mom is gone and the wheels slow down - or in worst case scenarios - come to a screeching halt - it's nice to know they recognize who can get everything working again.

So the rampage is over. Still need to scrub off food from plates that didn't get rinsed off last night. But my family is thrilled to have me home :)

4 comments:

leadatortilla said...

hee hee hee hee.... can you send this post to Shayne!? I can't even begin to say how much I relate to this post... thanks for sharing and for the giggle. :-)

Erin said...

I've been thinking this over the past few days. And you're right. Instead of feeling all the responsibility weighing down on me, I'm going to take it as a compliment. :)

Jen T said...

Amen, Glad your family understands how it works. My family also understands this :)

Kellogg said...

At least your kids get it! Sad how no one else cares about not being able to see the kitchen counter sometimes. Good luck with your last few days of pregnancy! I forget how much time a newborn takes.