Friday, August 20, 2010

My Summer Sanity

I'm a schedule person. I like schedules and being busy. I start to get a little grumpy and batty if hours pass and nothing constructive is being done. Probably explains my never-ending cleaning obsession...

Anyway, summer is sometimes hard for me. I want my kids to relax, but I want them to be busy in good activities and "character building" projects. Last summer Greg and I created the Summer Job List. It has changed our lives - seriously. And it worked again this summer.

Absolutely love it.


Even Pretty Girl had her own chart this year (minus the homework and weeding section - she'll get that next summer).

I wont lie. The details of my house are the most clean during the summer. I have so many helpful hands.


There is sometimes inevitable push back and complaining, but Greg and I have found the days everyone completes their jobs and homework (which is most days) kids are happier, peace abounds and there is a wonderful spirit in our home. A large part is probably due to the fact that Mom is less crabby.

And when the weekly charts are done - we have wonderful times together on Friday afternoons when the kids get to pick their own rewards. Snow cones, Wonka candy-bars, slurpees - the list is endless.

I actually miss the Summer Job Chart during the school year when other activities take its place. My floor boards aren't nearly as clean, I miss the carefree days that follow some good activities in the morning, and it means I'm back in charge of weeding...

6 comments:

Jen T said...

Totally agree! I am so a fan of summer job charts. I love the expression on the vacuum picture and love the family drawing on the top of your blog! Hope you are feeling well!

Carleton & Robyn said...

What a great idea. I would love to hear more about how you implement your chart. Do they just have to finish it by the end of the day or in the morning? Do they get a sticker on their chart when they finish? Do you check their work?

Jessica Brown said...

Thank you for posting this! I'm totally going to use this!

leadatortilla said...

Super cute chart. Now I'm trying to decide what are the most important parts of that chart to minimalize it to ensure our "sanity" for the school year. We've got to talk about this since I want to hear what you've decided.

Darleen said...

Oh my gosh! You are hilarious!! I have got to steal this idea. Thank you, thank you. I think you are my answer to creating some sanity in my house!

Staci said...

I have noticed that my kids are happier when I give them chores too. Wierd how that is. I wonder if it makes feel grown up and in control when they are responsible for something.