Friday, August 27, 2010

My Son & Santa Claus

(Let me preface this by saying I have already encouraged my kids to write their Christmas lists and post them on the fridge. You see...Santa Claus is going to be VERY busy - possibly in a hospital - before Christmas, so things need to get done now.)


Our Big Guy is now in 2nd grade, a big 7 1/2yr old, and he wants a cell phone. Badly. Of course, that's not happening. Definitely not now. Possibly never. The best parts come when I ask him why he needs a cell phone -

If you forget to take something out of the oven, Mom, I can call you and remind you.

"That's great honey, but I don't think I've ever forgotten to take things out of the oven."

But what if the school catches on fire, I'll need to call the firemen.

"I think the school will take care of that."

If there's a tornado or a hurricane!!!

"Again, babe, the school will cover that one."

But Isaac has one. So does Ryan and Max and Caleb, I think.

"Yes, that's true. But they are Dad's Deacons and they are Scouts. That means they're much older than 7." (side note: my boys ADORE Greg's calling as Scout Master. They love any chance to hang out with the Deacons.)


After our bazilionth talk with him over why he's not getting a cell phone, he went and did the next best thing...displaying his absolute faith and hope in the power of Santa Claus - he ran to the fridge and wrote "cell phone" with a picture on his Christmas list.

He's now completely confident it's coming...


6 comments:

Britt said...

Bradley is also confident that he will be getting an ipod, cell phone and a motorized scooter from Santa this year. :)

Jen T said...

We tell our kids that Santa checks with us about everything, and Santa won't bring something that mom and dad don't think is okay :) Good luck!

Nicole said...

I don't think Santa should bring anything electronic! But then again, Elves have such small hands and they are probably really good at fitting microchips inside of things and using tiny screwdrivers.

Erin said...

Ethan also is sure he'll be getting both a Nintendo DS AND a motorcycle. Boy is he going to be disappointed? Love James' reasoning. He's really trying hard. Maybe you can just give him one of your old ones so he can play games on it. ;)

leadatortilla said...

There are cell phones in the aisle as you check out - they've got buzz light year on them, or princess style... ha ha. Honestly - that cracks me UP!

Rob said...

Hey Rachel,

This is Rob Messenger, your old neighbor from Springville. Looks like you had a great summer, and congratulations on another little one.

I have a question for you, but I cannot find your email address. I am sure Amy has it, but she is in Utah right now. Would you mind sending it to rob "dot" messenger "at" gmail "dot" com?

Thanks