Sunday, June 20, 2010

Greg's Mid-Life Crisis

Two months ago Greg came home from work and quietly took me aside to discuss the bad news - our Subaru was dying. Our beloved Subaru. The darling, little black Forester we got before all the crazy kids arrived and it was still just the two of us. Ah...lovely times.



This car has been with me and Our Big Guy, quickly followed by Our Sweetie, at which point it drove across country to Connecticut and with the arrival of Pretty Girl, it became Greg's commuter car. Many long hours on I-95 and eventually our favorite freeway - The Merritt. And finally these last few years back in the west.

So with the Democrats in power and the corrupt EPA gathering more power than it should - I was imagining a very fuel-efficient car. Something around 35...maybe 40 mpg. Something with 4 doors, sleek - yet professional.

But Greg had other plans.

This was his chance - and he knew it - to get what he'd been dreaming about for many years. And frankly, there was no stopping him.




This is NOT a commuter car (which Greg needs). It's not efficient by any means (17mpg). It's not practical (stick shift).

But it's been with us for 2 weeks now, and every morning Greg is pretty much leaping out of bed - ready to go drive his car to...anywhere. He comes home with the biggest grin on his face, excited to tell me another fascinating fact yet again about the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I call it Greg's mid-life crisis.

He tells me it's a good thing he didn't pick a girl...

11 comments:

Boy said...

I usually recommend some sort of intervention when someone enters crisis mode, but with an outcome like this? You should seriously consider stressing Greg out more. Who knows? Maybe he'll end up purchasing a Scorpio-esque lair inside a volcano for you to live in. In any case, congratulations on the new addition to the family. I hope my crisis is as sexy!

Alison said...

Or a motorcycle!

Hillary said...

He's too young for a mid life crisis isn't he?!?! Looks like a pretty cool car! How are you guys doing? We hope to come out that way in a month or two, we'll have to get together if we make it out. Is the Subway out this summer because of your little baby? I hope you guys are doing great! Wish we could come to your house again for the 4th and hang in your living room while you guys do fireworks :)

Jen T said...

Love the color! Way to go Greg!

Erin said...

I would happily take it if this is his mid-life crisis. Love the color...tell him it's manly. :)

Britt said...

Guys need a manly car. It makes them feel tough!

Nicole said...

I think I need to have myself a mid-life crisis!

Natalie said...

I've loved catching up on your blog! Congrats on your pregnancy, Rachael!!! I feel your pain about not being able to complete your race. I look forward to the future post that details all the awesome races you're going to finish after the baby's safe arrival and mom's recovery. :)

kj said...

I think I won't tell Bill about this. Green with envy doesn't look so good on him. Congrats on the new addition! Looks like fun.

Carleton & Robyn said...

Your cruiser is absolutely beautiful. I'll have to show Carleton when he gets home. He'll be jealous.

leadatortilla said...

Well, I'm glad that he wakes up excited to drive (even to work!). Not many do! It's a great car and I hope that he continues to love it for MANY, MANY years to come... with no other crisis' on the horizon!