Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LRRH Progress Log #5

18 days...

Selected work-out song for Log #5 - Klaus Badelt, He's a Pirate


So...we've hit a small snag. And when I say "we" I mean myself and The Little Pirate (the now designated Blog name for baby #4) So...apparently The Little Pirate was not thrilled about biking more than 30 miles with Mom. This became abundantly clear when Greg and I had to make an emergency trip to my doctor.

You see, when I found out The Little Pirate had boarded and taken over, I had a very strict talk with my belly. I explained that Mom had a race coming up that was SUPER important, and I had no intention of buying maternity biking shorts. So we made a deal - me and The Little Pirate.

1. I would drop from the 80 mile race to the 60 mile race for Little Red.

2. I would give up my goal to bike Traverse Ridge this summer.

3. I would cancel my much coveted trip to the Subway in July.

In return -The Little Pirate agreed there would be no interference with any of my work-outs, my races or my beloved swimming. I also threw in the request that any outside growth would not be visible until after June 5th - again, so maternity biking shorts would not be necessary.

Apparently My Little Pirate is completely unscrupulous.

One giant hemorrhage later, my doctor looked between me and the ultrasound picture and said those four words I had been dreading since discovering I was pregnant.


Stop. All. Physical. Activity.


The bad news...I didn't get to race Goldilocks. And there is a slim chance I'll get to do Little Red. I've been weeks now without riding - I feel restless and empty. Even my poor bike looks depressed and rejected sitting in her spot all alone...



The good news...the hemorrhage healed in about 10 days, and I'm already back into swimming. The Little Pirate is one happy baby.

9 comments:

Alison said...

HolyMoley! Glad you're okay. Just give up for a while. You have a whole life to bike, and only 9 months to grow a perfect set of lungs.

Nicole said...

You make it all sound so easy in print - I'm sure the whole experience has been more difficult in real life. Good luck with your little pirate :)

Hillary said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear all of this. I am very glad that the Pirate (love the name by the way) is doing well but so sorry that you have to cancel the race that you've been working so hard towards. It's worth it though, right!?!? I actually just sent you an email to ask you most of the information that you ended up putting in this blog post, I guess I should have checked the blogs out first :) Hope you continue to do well along with the Little Pirate!

Jen T said...

Bless you and your litte Pirate! Be careful! I agree with Alison, you have your whole life to bike, swim, etc, but just 9 months to make a perfect baby, and you don't want an early little pirate being stuck in the NICU for months not being able to do anything. Not fun! Keep that little pirate healthy and happy and be careful! love ya!

leadatortilla said...

Love the "little pirate" name... I'm glad that he's ok and I'm sorry you're missing your bike. I'm sure your bike will be patient and wait as long as it takes!!

Erin said...

Sorry you aren't going to be able to accomplish your entire goal. Next year. :)

Staci said...

Ouch, that's a really hard nugget to swallow. You've been working so hard! I usually just want to give up all physical activity when I'm pregnant because I am lazy. Nice excuse, you know.

By the way, sorry I didn't congratulate you when we talked the other day. I don't know what I was thinking! (Well, I was thinking about not burning myself on the pancake griddle, actually.) Anyway, I'm sorry to be so insensitive.

Hope we can get together this summer. Thanksgiving Point?

Sam said...

Congrats on the little pirate, Rachael! We are excited for you.

Steph said...

I'm so sorry that you won't be able to race, but luckily there will always be other races in the future.