Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Looking Back a Few Years

In spite of some heartbreaking, tragic events, I had a choice childhood - with a lot of sweet memories and happy times - esp. before the age of 8.





You should also know, I have an exceptional clear memory - sometimes to a fault - and sometimes so crystal I wish I could forget so many obnoxious, ridiculous things I ever said or did. It's not easy when your hair is a total curly spaz and you have nobody there to tell you NOT to wear a watermelon necklace from ShowBiz Pizza for your 3rd grade photos. Sigh!



Such is childhood...

There is one slice of my childhood that has become quite symbolic over the years. And those of you who know this song - you know what I'm talking about. You know the connection - those early years in the 1980s. Only people who experienced those choice childhood years will understand this song. :)

Sadly - Greg wasn't in that batch.

And to this day, he still doesn't really get the vocals of John Denver mixed with Placido Domingo. He doesn't understand it - even though I still love him madly.

But those of you out there - you know. Those were good years...



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, Rae. This song makes me cry. I have almost forgotten how much I loved it. Make me a dvd with this song on it if you ever want to do something nice for me. Although, this post felt like a gift in and of itself.

And you know what--don't beat yourself up. I love the watermelon necklace. I'm jealous that you were blessed with a clear sharp memory and I wasn't. But, many, many precious memories are coming back to me right now, too. Glad to have been through with you for much of it and glad that you were there with me, too. Love ya.

Alison said...

Oh, I love the necklace!

Britt said...

The song is sweet. Not my style but it's something I think dad would like a lot. And I've never seen most of those pictures. I don't think Spencer has either. Thanks for posting those. :)

Nicole said...

I love the picture of you and your dad on the beach. Lizzy looks exactly like you!

Jessica Brown said...

I was only alive for two of those eight years you speak of, but that song makes me think of my Dad. I some years after he died we found a recording that he and my mom had made of this song. I think she was playing the piano and he the guitar. I wonder where that recording is. I love taking a moment to remember. Thanks for bringing that back. Such sweet and tender feelings come even though I was so little.

P.S. You were the cutest kid, watermelon and all!

leadatortilla said...

::sigh:: What a sweet post Rach. Your kids look a lot like you - and you definitely look like your beautiful mother. Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

I love the pictures. I've never seen them before. Your Mom has such a beautiful face.

I'm also surprised how much Andrew looks like Spencer (especially in the first photo). And Lizzy looks SO much like you.

Love the watermelon necklace. All of us wore silly stuff like that. I've also got pictures to attest to that.

One day, after this life, I hope to meet your mother. :)

kj said...

What a sweet tender song. I love both their voices and never would have thought to pair them, but it sounds beautiful!

My heart goes out to Greg.

kj said...

Just one more comment. When Will heard this song he said, "It's about Jesus, right?" I agreed with him.

Love the old pictures of you. Takes my breath away to see how much your children look like you.

Kellogg said...

Look how wonderful you turned out! Your beautiful Mother would be so very proud. I remember snippets of your Mom and I honestly can still see her face and the love that radiated off of her when she looked at you. She was so patient, soft spoken and caring. Let's be realistic, would you really have listened if someone told you to take off the beautiful necklace? That is what makes you Rachael.

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

I grew up loving this song as a child!! Haven't heard it in years. Thank you so much for sharing it. It made my day.

What happened after the age of eight? Did you lose your mom? I am sad at the thought.

You are one of the greatest!