Thursday, March 18, 2010

LRRH Progress Log #2

2 Months, 13 Days...

Selected work-out song for Log #2 - Lifehouse, Halfway Gone



For the past few Mondays, I've been taking a free Road Bike Maintenance class at REI - because I'm not breaking down on the road somewhere in this race between mile 17 and 73 in the middle of nowhere and NOT know what to do.

The class was taught by this darling, older pair who road bike A LOT. They seemed like retired hippie types who were just fanatical about recycling. At one point during the tire demonstration the man actually pointed out that if you happen to have the type of tube with a small twist nut at the intake valve, you can take it home and recycle it since you can't use it again.

All I could think about was if I am seriously down off my bike trying to change a tire in the middle of a road with dirt and mud, the last thing I'll be thinking about is recycling.

I'm just saying...

But as I walked into REI last Monday, with my bike in tow, I was reminded how much I love my bike. Seriously, she's like my 4th baby - it's just her and me for miles and miles and she's got to carry my 100+ pounds all by herself. No easy job.

And the fact I call it a "she" - makes me laugh. Ever since I've owned a bike (age 4), I think my bikes have all been a "she". I don't know why. They just are.



PS - The "No Sugar" plan didn't really get off on a great start. To be honest, it hasn't started at all. The day I planned to begin, our Girl Scout cookies order arrived. And there was no way I could possibly pass up 1x a year Lemon Cremes. So we're back to square one.

1 comment:

leadatortilla said...

Recycle huh..... kinda far my brain too! I have to say, I was proud of myself that even knew HOW to inflate the tire with the little twist thing-a-ma-jigy at the top! In fact, I learned this "new skill" in Hawaii when we rented those bikes for the coast! It was a lesson well learned. And maybe I'll try no sugar next week.