Monday, February 9, 2009

Signs of Pnemonia

I've never had pnemonia before. I never want to have it again. If you fear you might be falling towards this horrible sickness, take note of the following signs.


1 - You have the flu - for days and days and days. It seems to get better, but it doesn't. After weeks you start wondering if you're dying.

2 - Your countertop keeps growing and growing with boxes of Nighquil, Dayquil, cough syrups of all varities, Afrin, kleenex, ibiprophin - only to find to your utmost dismay that NONE OF IT IS WORKING.

3 - Your household shuts down. You go into survival mode - which means as long as the kids are fed, dressed and put to bed at night, they're okay. Eventually dressing them becomes optional.

4 - Your spouse starts missing days of work because you can't keep up with sign #3.

5 - It hurts to breathe and eventually to cough - like a rib is constantly stabbing you in the side.

6 - Your nightly and morning prayers start including gratitude for things like "antibiotics" and "doctors" (or in my case, Dad!) and "modern medicine".

7 - When the fevers finally pass, it doesn't matter if the world has succumbed to false rumors of global warming - the earth is suddenly a beautiful place to be alive!


Seriously, I want to fervently thank my dad. He's always there for us, making sure we know how much we're loved. He's amazing!



I could not have gotten through January without him.

13 comments:

Galo Fab 5 said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry that you've been that sick. I really think mom's should be immune to any kind of sickness. I hope you are better and that your kids survived. This also makes me feel worse because Ruby had pneumonia in Oct and of course she can't talk. I had no idea she felt that crappy.

Natalie said...

Rachael, I am so sorry you were so sick! Pneumonia is sooo horrible! I had it years ago, and I'll never forget it. Glad you're better. Hope February is free of illness for you!

Jessica Brown said...

Oh Rae, I'm so sorry. To be sick when you have no kids is bad enough, but to be sick with pneumonia and three kids wow that is hard! I hope you get better soon!

Meredith said...

Ugh- so sorry you had to deal with that! Glad it's over! Hope you're feeling 100% again.

leadatortilla said...

I've been wondering how you are doing and I hope that you are on the upswing now. Can I have that special phone number that allows me to call your dad too?!?! : - )

Erin said...

I had no idea you had been so sick. I would have totally taken the kids for you. I'm sorry.

And yeah, thank goodness for Dad. He's helped us with many sicknesses as well.

Hillary said...

I am so glad that you're feeling better, sounds like it was miserable! Glad you were better in time to go to the museum and out to dinner, we had a great time!!!

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

So sad to hear you have been sick. What a blessing to be back in Utah close to family. I'm sure your dad has loved serving you and you obviously benefitted from his time and attention.

Britt said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. We had a fun time playing with you the other day. And I won't tell anyone about how we spent most of the time fixing the 'my little pony's' hair!

kj said...

What a terrible month! I'm so sorry to hear you were that sick. Glad you're feeling better. There's nothing like a sick mother to make everyone grateful once you're back.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

I'm so sorry for you and your sickness but grateful that your dad was such a big help!

Carleton & Robyn said...

I felt so sad reading your blog! How awful! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Chad and Sara said...

That is the sorst sickness ever! I am so glad you Dad was able to be there for you guys. He is sweet. Hope you are doing tons better and mabey one day we can get together!