Friday, September 26, 2008

Where the Heck is a Spatula?

In our current transient mode, we are very grateful for Greg's parents generosity in letting us stay in their home for the next few months. We're actually the 3rd family of Greg's siblings to take advantage of their gracious nature while they've been off on missions for my church in New England.

Keeping that in mind, it didn't take us long to figure out that appearances can be deceiving. For example - while there is ample, generous cupboard space and shelves - opening a door will reveal piles of Tupperware and potato buds - but no pots and pans. Plentiful drawers are stuffed full of grocery sacks, table linens and more Tupperware - but not a single can opener.

The situation came to a grinding halt last Sunday morning as I prepared pancakes for breakfast. I brushed past the absence of a wisk and a large kitchen spoon, forgetting what I would eventually need down the road. The batter had been poured, the heat was on when I suddenly realized...

I need a spatula. NOW. I have 30 seconds before the pancake burns.

Cant use a fork - it could scar the ONLY pan I've found in the house.

Cant use a spoon.

Garbage sacks wont work. A Tupperware lid might come in handy - but not really.

And then...the miracle.


Our Big Guy saves the day!!

Thank goodness for pink, plastic, playset kitchen tools.

8 comments:

Britt said...

That's so funny! I hope you keep that pancake turner handy!

Hillary said...

Oh, I love it! That's hilarious! Gotta love the toys laying around the house.

rachel said...

ok so i love that you actually used it and i love that its pink!

Steph said...

Instead of a spatula the question I always ask is - Where the heck are my keys? Its too bad the kids keys won't work in our van.

Erin said...

Ha Ha! Good work James.

Galo Fab 5 said...

Awesome. Good thinking James. Let's get together soon at our house for dinner, kids and all!! It will be great fun.

Lindsay said...

Chair across bottom of stairs... the memories!

Kristen and Shawn said...

a toy spatula saves the day! That is pretty funny.