Friday, September 12, 2008

Welcome to the Promised Land


Dar's much anticipated album arrived this past week. Welcome to my version of the Promised Land!

The first title track came just in time - It's Alright captures exactly how I feel about leaving Connecticut. (sniff, sniff)


Because I have seen insane things -
all those grand historic paintings,
morning light on polished swords and burnished pride.

Anxious smiles encased in whalebone,
spines of steel from head to tailbone,
cannons poised to blast the turning of the tide.

It's a sad and a strange thing, but it's time and I am changing
into something good or bad, well that's your guess.
I'm my own sovereign nation, dedicated to a transformation,
marching on with this target on my chest.



Only Dar Williams or Shawn Colvin can write this type of music - these lyrics. Modern-day poetry.

No comments: