Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pennsylvania - Our Last Hurrah!










Friday was Valley Forge. Gorgeous, warm day! I splurged on a t-shirt and a book. We walked through cabins, over canons and bunker sites and the large arch monument. And while I was impressed - I have to admit I liked the Connecticut winter quarters better.

We kept our home base for the weekend in Lancaster - the heart of Amish country. And we LOVED it. We swam for long hours in the hotel pool, drank homemade rootbeer, ate corn fritters, homemade applesauce and pretzels. We took walks along the cornfields and quiet pastures. I spent a lot of time wondering if Greg could ever get a job here.

Saturday was Hershey. And when we drove into the quiet, chocolate town, I realized I need to stop lying to my kids. In order to get them completely out-of-their-minds crazy to visit Hershey, I told them the whole town was made of chocolate - chocolate cars, chocolate houses, chocolate schools, etc.

I'm a horrible mom - I know.

Needless to say - that while the chocolate factory/tours were exciting and so much fun - my kids left crying because they didn't have the chance to eat a chocolate house...

On the way home on Sunday we stopped in Easton to tour the Crayola Factory. If you ever watched Sesame Street as a kid and saw the segment with the workers making the crayons - you'll understand why I was just as excited as the kids to see this place.

But my favorite was Valley Forge.


Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and show the whole world that a Freeman, contending for liberty...is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.
GEORGE WASHINGTON, Jul. 2, 1776


And why didn't I buy more of that homemade rootbeer?

6 comments:

KMDuff said...

Mmmm....rootbeer...hersheys...looks like fun!

Steph said...

Looks like fun! I'm curious about one thing though. How are you mananging to pack, explore the East Coast and keep up your blog. Your amazing!

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

I LOVE Pennsylvania and all the sights you saw. Definitely one of the best perks to living on the east coast. It's been a while since we've been . . . we need to pay a visit.

kj said...

I love it that you told your kids that Hershey was made of chocolate! Can't believe how much Olivia is changing. It happens way too fast!

leadatortilla said...

ah - what fun pictures! Looks like you did a lot for just a weekend. So, were the corn fields made of chocolate too?

Galo Fab 5 said...

K- So if you guys come and have this much fun in Utah, I'm hoping for some invites to come along. You make everything look so exciting!! Good luck with the move!