Friday, August 1, 2008

The Ties That Bind

Our 10-day jaunt to Utah was joyous! And it was all about the people - Greg's side, my side, our old ward friends, play-group friends, Super Friends...

This is the stuff that makes life beautiful.



Our nieces and nephews look so grown up, so mature - has it been that long? Are Greg and I that old now?



Spending cool afternoons away from the heat at my parent's cabin.




Celebrating new life.

Taking time to munch on a few greens in a lovely shade with close cousins.



Remembering those who were no longer there.

And holding our breath for that delicious, long-anticipated bite of clam chowder at Market Street Grill, followed by an I-Max showing of The Dark Knight. The only thing lacking was Boyd and Kandi...


And the food. The FOOD!

J-Dawgs, Maddox, Cafe Rio, La Dolca Vita, Legends Grill.... We'll make sure we hit Ruby River next time.





We took the red-eye back to JFK - touching down just as the foggy red was visible over the horizon. My kids were asleep in the seats next to me so I was able to contemplate in brief silence. I had been teary-eyed leaving SLC. But watching the sunrise was uplifting. Reminding me that even this far away from the people we love - the sun still rises.

10 comments:

Erin said...

Nice post. You managed to get all the pictures in. Impressive. Glad you guys came out. It was fun to see you and spend time with the kids.

Esther said...

Oh bummer!! I know your trip was probably packed but I wish we'd set up a lunch for you, Amber, Neil, Mike, and me. Sounds like a fun time though.

Chad and Sara said...

I was so glad we all got together! Cute pics. I'm glad you all had a blast and hope you come visit soon especially before April cause who knows where will be by then.

Brooke said...

It was so great to see you Rachael. Sorry it was so short, but we're glad we snuck a hello in at least. Matthew was sick for the rest of the night and the next day, so it's a good thing we went home. Thanks for all of the good MBA advice.

Amber said...

Like Esther said, I wish we knew you were out here and we could have gotten together. But I understand it's hard to try and see everyone. Next time though!

Britt said...

We were so happy to see you. Bradley keeps asking when we are going to James' house. He wants to play some more. All the pictures are so fun.

Jessica Brown said...

Oh I wish I could have been there at the cousin get together. I miss all the Hoopes cousins! Next time I'm in Utah we have to get together.

Looks like it was such a fun trip. Now you left me craving J-Dawgs. . .yum.

Steph said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves in Utah. We certainly treasure our time with family when we have the opportunity to go to Utah.

Darleen said...

Oh I miss the clam chowder at Market Street Grill! What a fun time with your family. It looks like it was a blast. Cherish memories.

Annie said...

It was fun seeing you and Greg at the park-even if it was for just an hour! Next time stay longer if you can! ;) Your kids are darling-especially little Lizzy. Her brown eyes are gorgeous!