Saturday, May 3, 2008

Remembering Grandma Hoopes



It was around this time last year that my sweet Grandmother passed away. She was simply one of the most beautiful people I have ever known. I think of her often - wishing I could tell her about my children and all the experiences we are having out here. I'd love to pick up the phone and hear her voice again - reminding me to take care of my husband or telling me about the latest Shakespeare sonnet she has just re-read, or the Conference talk that was just replayed on KBYU and has moved her to tears.




I love this picture of Grandpa & Grandma with Spencer and me. I wish the scan could have picked up all the natural light - I love the light falling on their faces. Love the joy.



I love remembering how much she loved all her grandchildren. It was a wonderful time when you went to lunch or dinner with Grandma. Always excellent conversation and good company.








One of my favorite parts about Grandma was how I felt when I was with her. My father paraphrased it well - one comes away from a visit with Grandma believing a great conversation has passed, when in fact the entire time was spent by the guest talking about herself/himself.




She was lovely, generous, full of warmth and "perfect" in my eyes and I miss her.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Me, too. Thanks so much for posting that. I've been thinking of Grandma, too. The world just isn't the same place without her.

The Tarin's said...

Is this the sweet little grandma that you would go to lunch with?

Chad and Sara said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful post. I have been thinking alot about her lately and how much I miss her. She was so influential in my life and so many others.

Rachael said...

Amber - yes, this is the same grandmother. Those were good times :)

Natalie said...

Loved this post! I miss her too. Her voice. Her charm. Her warmth. Thanks for the sweet tribute.

Jessica Brown said...

I miss Grandma too, and have been thinking of the many ways that she blessed my life. Thanks Rae for posting that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Rae. It helps to keep her memory fresh

Britt said...

I miss Grandma too. We've been thinking about her a lot lately. She loved everyone, especially the little ones. She once said that she really wanted to die but that she'd miss seeing our children grow up. I wish I could see her interact with Lucy the way she did with Bradley. Spencer always felt that g-ma kept the family together. She is greatly loved and missed.

Esther said...

Sounds like a wonderful person Rachael. Thanks for the tribute.