Sunday, February 24, 2008

Successful Marketing

Those who know me understand my appreciation for good marketing and creative strategies to build brand equity. But I'm still blown away by how much my kids absorb. We had to run to Staples last night for some errands. We pull into the parking lot and My Big Guy announces.

Big Guy - "This is the store that has the Easy Button!"

Us - "The what?"

Big Guy - "The Easy Button. That was easy!"

Now I'm an excellent watch dog when it comes to TV viewing, so I know he's probably only seen this ad 1 or 2 times - esp since Noggin in our channel of choice these days. So the fact that it sunk in so quickly...what else is going on in my son's head???

6 comments:

Britt said...

Bradley does that too. We drive past any Walmart and he knows what it is. He knows he's a "toy r us kid" and he thinks the ford symbol is american idol. Even when I think he's not listening, he brings it to my attention that he is. It's really amazing what kids pick up.

KMDuff said...

Chuck E Cheese - where a kid can be a kid - they sneak those into PBS. We've tried to discuss marketing and what it means, but I think we're just going to have to keep discussing it b/c the commercials are just as loved as the shows at this point.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

When Carter is watching TV and a commercial comes on for some cleaning product he'll say, "Mom you have to buy this. It does this and this and this. It's great you need it mom." And then he'll continue to try to sell me on whatever product it is.

Natalie said...

I hear you. I am amazed that my kids know the Sponge Bob Square Pants theme song, and I don't let them watch that show! They've maybe heard it once or twice as I was on my way to the TV room to turn of the TV.

Staci Carroll said...

Yep, I get the "save money, live better, Wal-Mart" speech every few weeks. Even though I always shop there.

leadatortilla said...

giggle giggle.. that was funny! Hunter said something out of the blue last week and we asked "How did you know that?" his answer was: "from watching too much TV"..... nice.