Thursday, January 3, 2008

First Celebrity Sighting!

When you live where we do - the bedroom community of New York City - you're bound to occasionally run into the likes of David Letterman, Bill Cosby, Martha Stewart, Paul Newman - the list goes on. And it just so happens that I ran into one of my favorites...and it wasn't even at church (because he's not in my ward)...GLENN BECK!!



Okay, yes - he's not really on the same par as Bill Cosby - but I was thrilled just the same. Greg and I are HUGE fans. Here's the story -

The other evening Greg and I opted for 'take-out' after the kids bedtime. It's a favorite tradition of ours when the weekly budget has run too slim for a sitter. But because the layout and jurisdiction of this community is so incredibly inept, I had to drive to two different towns to get Greg's prime rib and my elegant shrimp, chicken with walnut dish (complete with special glaze and whole wheat rice). I rolled into New Canaan (Beck's hometown) around 7:30 and was walking towards Ching's when out walks a larger man hidden in deep coats wearing a baseball cap. Because I'm from the west - where people actually still smile at each other instead of avoiding eye contact - I smiled at him - and he smiled back. After 2 steps it hit me. I stopped, turned around - he was crossing the street and looked back at me and kind of laughed. And that's when I knew it was him. Of course, he was too far away for me to go over and introduce myself - tell him we love him, that we're thinking of moving to his town JUST SO WE CAN BE IN HIS WARD...Make me look like a complete psychopath. But I loved that he laughed - because I think he knew I had figured it out - in spite of all the layers.

And I LOVE the fact he was getting take out at the same place I was. He must have excellent taste!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

In my opinion you should have chased after him yelling, "Brother Beck, Brother Beck!" But, whatever. How was your shrimp?

Britt said...

That's awesome! A better encounter than the one with Arnold S. eh?

Chad and Sara said...

Well next time you won't be so star struck. Remember to tell him that Chad and Sara are his biggest fans. Hope to see you sooner than later. Miss ya and it looks like you guys had a geat Christmas! Chad and I really enjoyed our Christmas in Florida all by ourselves. It was very relaxing and we did whatever we wanted.

Erin said...

That's so funny Rachael! He seems pretty down to earth. Dave and I love Glenn Beck too. Geez...you run into all the celebs Glenn, Arnold, etc...who's next...Luke Parry? JK.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

A Glenn Beck sighting, so far we haven't had any such sightings in Phoenix
I love the Froggy Boots and the little topple over.

Burdett Family said...

Rae, I am so jealous! I love Glenn too! I always wanted to run into him myself when we lived in CT. There are a lot of great celebs to run into there!

Moody Blogger said...

That's too funny. Loved Kelly's comment. And isn't New Canaan incredible? The richest people on the planet live there, I swear.

Chad and Sara said...

It is Grandma's old car and we had the brakes replaced last year. I just worry about the rear wheel drive. Its the worst and I can't even imagine Grandma driving around in the snow in that car. Crazy!

leadatortilla said...

You could have fainted... that might have gotten his attention.

davidkmckinnon said...

We sat next to Robert J. DeBry on the way home from Hawaii. He made sure to let us know who he was. That's the biggest celebrity we've met. Lindsay's house was in a commercial while she was going to BYU, does that make her a celebrity? No, she wasn't in the commercial, just the front of her house.

maren said...

I worked at Sundance for years and got to see a few celebs becuase of it. I was always suprised at how excited I got when I saw or met them!