Monday, September 3, 2007

Hello Pretty Girl!

My Baby Girl Has Arrived!

7 Pounds, 14 Ounces


A mother’s body remembers her babies – the folds of soft flesh, the softly furred scalp against her nose. Each child has its own entreaties to body and soul. It’s the last one, though, that overtakes you…

A first child is your own best foot forward, and how you do cheer those little feet as they strike out. You examine every turn of flesh for precocity, and crow it to the world.

But the last one: the baby who trails her scent like a flag of surrender through your life when there will be no more coming after – oh, that’s love by a different name. She is the babe you hold in your arms for an hour after she’s gone to sleep. If you put her down in the crib, she might wake up changed and fly away. So instead you rock by the window, drinking the light from her skin, breathing her exhaled dreams. Your heart bays to the double crescent moons of closed lashes on her cheeks. She’s the one you can’t put down.

-Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible-





11 comments:

Moody Blogger said...

Oh, she's so beautiful! Congratulations to you guys and your family. We send our love your way. So fun that she & Emily are the same age :)

Kelly said...

She is so beautiful. I'm having a memory of meeting Greg's boxer years and years ago. Why would seeing the post on Elizabeth Syke remind me of him? Maybe it's a false memory I'm having, but wasn't the dog Skye too? Well, nothing wrong with loving a name. And, it works really well too.

Who do you guys think she looks like? (She's obviously going to be tall..but aside from that).

maren said...

She is so cute! Congratulations!

Brooke Hoopes said...

Congratulations!! What a beautiful little girl Rachael, and I LOVE the name. That was such a sweet quote.

I'm excited that you're blogging. Do you have our blog address? Let me know if you need it.

What a beautiful family of five!

Burdett Family said...

Rae, we just started blogging too and we have been hesitant about it. However, now that we live apart it is fun to get periodic updates of your family. Elizabeth is so beautiful and we are thrilled everything went well. 4 weeks and counting is all I have! HOORAY! We will keep you posted.

Drew said...

Grandma is surely proud to have another little great grand baby.

Lindsay said...

Congrats! We can't wait to see her, but she will be big by then! We have a blog, but it is David's thing, and he hasn't done anything on it for over a month.
Good luck with the sleeping!

davidkmckinnon said...

Okay, here's our blog created by David!

Jessica Brown said...

Rae congratulations! She's beautiful! I'm glad you got your girl after all!

If you ever want to see Jaron and I's family blog to see pictures of us or Liv go to www.jessandjaron.blogspot.com

It's a great way to keep in touch.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

Hi,I just checked out your page for the first time. Congratulations! She is such a pretty baby. How are you doing? It was so much fun to read about what's been going on with you guys and to see all of the pictures. I've just started up a blog site for us. Hopefully I keep it up. I'll have to email you later and catch up. I don't think I've talked to you since the first of the summer. We ended up losing the baby. I went to my ten week appt. to hear the heart beat and there wasn't one. It was sad, but it's much easier to talk about it after the fact. Anyway I'll talk to you later. Our blog address is mckaymissycolton@blogspot.com

Kathryn said...

Rachael,
I was happy to find you link on Kelly's site. Your family is so cute. We just got your birth announcement and are so happy for you.
Aunt Kathryn